Sunday, January 11, 2009

Nenjukkul Peidhidum

This song from the movie Vaaranam Aayiram really touched me. I loved the music, the voice of Hariharan and above all the lyrics of this song.
My cousin constantly complains about the lack of attention that the lyricist in Tamil cinema get. When a song comes out the music director and the singers are known but the lyricist is not. To add to this there are many TV shows such as Airtel Super Singer, Little Masters and many others that shed light on the music directors and singers that are already under the limelight but there are none such shows that shed light on the lyricist that are in the darkness. There are even shows out there that highlights the importance of chreography in the songs such as Ungalil Yaar Adutha Prabhu Deva, Maanaada Mayilaada and Masthana Masthana. I am not in any way criticizing these shows as I am great fan of some of these shows but I think that more emphasis should be given to those who have written the songs that are used in these shows.
I have watched some episodes of SPB's Ennodu Paatu Paadungal on Jaya TV, and I was amazed to see that he brings musicians and lyricists that are not known to the public into limelight by inviting them to judge the show alongside him. This was the only show that I have come across that did this, my hats off to SBP sir who has really proved that he is a legend. I truly feel that more attention to be paid for those who pen the songs as it is an important element that brings life to the song and there are some amazing Tamil lyricists out there.
Now to getting back to Nenjukkul peidhidum maamalai; நெஞ்சுக்குள் பெய்திடும் மாமழை
The lyrics in this song is simply superb and I have included some lines from the song that really touched me in this song;
"நெஞ்சுக்குள் பெய்திடும் மாமழை
நீருக்குள் மூழ்கிடும் தாமரை
சட்டென்று மாறுது வானிலை
பெண்ணே உன் மேல் பிழை"

"என் உயிரை உயிரை நீ ஏந்தி
ஏன் சென்றாய் சென்றாய் எனை தாண்டி
இனி நீதான் எந்தன் அந்தாதி"

"என் ஜீவன் ஜீவன் நீதானே
என தோன்றும் நேரம் இதுதானே
நீ இல்லை இல்லை என்றாலே
என் நெஞ்சம் நெஞ்சம் தாங்காதே"

"காதல் என்னை கேட்கவில்லை
கேட்டால் அது காதல் இல்லை"

and my favorite line
"என்னோடு வா வீடு வரைக்கும்
என் வீட்டை பார் என்னை பிடிக்கும்"
........Truly amazing

Its songs like this, that once again makes me feel truly proud to be a Tamil, I just don't think feelings can be said this nicely in any other language, Cheers to the lyricist Thamarai for penning such a beautiful song. (it took me a couple of hours with google to figure out who the penned the lyrics for this song, once again reiterating at the lack of attention given to lyricist.)

Mithra

No comments:

Post a Comment